Kind Fools, a program of Community Canvases, presents WRITE ON! (an intuitive writing workshop)
RSVP for our Tuesday June 6th in-person workshop at 6:00pm to 8:30pm at SolRise Farm and Cultural Arts Center at 226 E. Utica Street, Buffalo, NY 14208 (Facilitator: Hy Carrel) Sign Up
RSVP for our Thursday June 15th in-person workshop at 1:00pm to 3:30pm at CAO Rafi Greene Masten Resource Center at 1423 Fillmore Ave., Buffalo, NY 14211 (Facilitator: Hy Carrel) Sign Up
WRITE ON! is a writing workshop created by Robert-Harry Rovin. Through participating weekly from 2016 through 2019, Kind Fools founder Hy Carrel learned to think of himself as a writer and even a poet. It is our pleasure to be able to offer this writing workshop to the Buffalo community and virtually.
What is WRITE ON! ?
WRITE ON! is a process of accessing what is your truth in this moment, and expressing it. First, we establish a trusting container by sitting in a circle and giving each person an opportunity to “show up” and check-in. Second, we participate in a body awareness meditation, to pay attention and listen to what is true for each part of ourselves in this moment. Third, we listen to an inspiring poem. Fourth, we free-write, getting out of our heads and trusting that we will know what needs to be written in this moment.
A key feature of WRITE ON! is how we respond to each others’ writing. After our second free-write, we have a break. Then we are each invited to read one of our two writings. After reading, people are invited to respond if they wish. We ask that each response be purely encouraging and only positive. There are other opportunities for feedback and criticsm, and we set the intention that WRITE ON! is a “safe space” of purely positive and authentic responses to what others trust us by sharing.
- check-in circle
- body awareness meditation
- 1st free write
- 2nd free write
- share your writing and receive only positive reflections
Do you want to get involved? Do you have questions? Please reach out via our contact form or by emailing our lead facilitator Hy Carrel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feb 21, 2023 workshop info available here and write up here
- March 7, 2023 workshop at Hostel Buffalo-Niagara info available here write up here
- March 14, 2023 workshop info available here and write up here
- Thank you to Fitz Books and Waffles for hosting our March 16th in-person workshop.
- Thank you to MHA WNY for hosting our March 30th workshop.
- Thank you to everyone who joined our April 4th virtual workshop. Write up here
- Thank you to everyone who joined our April 11th workshop at Sol Rise Farm and Cultural Arts Center.
- Thank you to Indigo House for hosting our May 2nd workshopfor hosting our May 2nd workshop.
- In our Monday May 8th virtual workshop on Zoom we held space for each other and expressed our truths.
- In our Thursday May 11th workshop, we wrote in the children’s section at Buffalo’s Central Library as a partner in Mental Health Awareness Day Flash Mob, celebrating life, health and healing in all its beauty.
- Our Thursday May 18th workshop at CAO Rafi Greene Masten Resource Center brought together community members from near and far to share.
How did you enjoy your WRITE ON! workshop? Please complete our survey.